Changes in IPython kernel¶
- Fix QSocketNotifier in the Qt event loop not being disabled for the control channel. (PR #525)
5.3.0 Adds support for Trio event loops and has some bug fixes.
5.2.0 Includes several bugfixes and internal logic improvements.
- Produce better traceback when kernel is interrupted (PR #491)
InProcessKernelClient.control_channelfor compatibility with jupyter-client v6.0.0 (PR #489)
- Drop support for Python 3.4 (PR #483)
- Work around issue related to Tornado with python3.8 on Windows (PR #480, PR #481)
- Prevent entering event loop if it is None (PR #464)
shell.input_transformer_managerwhen available (PR #411)
5.1.4 Includes a few bugfixes, especially for compatibility with Python 3.8 on Windows.
5.1.3 Includes several bugfixes and internal logic improvements.
- Fix comm shutdown behavior by adding a
closewhich can be set to prevent registering new comm channels during shutdown (:ghpull:
Heartbeat._bind_socketto return on the first bind (:ghpull:
- Don’t redirect stdout if nose machinery is not present (:ghpull:
_asyncio_utils.pyto avoid name conflicts on Python 3.6+ (:ghpull:
- Only generate kernelspec when installing or building wheel (:ghpull:
- Fix priority ordering of control-channel messages in some cases (PR #443)
5.1.2 fixes some socket-binding race conditions that caused testing failures in nbconvert.
- Fix socket-binding race conditions (:ghpull:
- Add a no-op
DummySocketand comply with stream API (:ghpull:
- Update kernel version to indicate kernel v5.3 support (:ghpull:
- Add testing for upcoming Python 3.8 and PEP 570 positional parameters
5.1.1 fixes a bug that caused cells to get stuck in a busy state.
- Flush after sending replies (PR #390)
5.1.0 fixes some important regressions in 5.0, especially on Windows.
- Add event loop integration for
- Use the new IPython completer API.
- Add support for displaying GIF images (mimetype
- Allow the kernel to be interrupted without killing the Qt console.
is_completeresponse with cell magics.
- Clean up encoding of bytes objects.
- Clean up help links to use
httpsand improve display titles.
- Clean up ioloop handling in preparation for tornado 5.
- Fix eventloop-integration bug preventing Qt windows/widgets from displaying with ipykernel 4.6.0 and IPython ≥ 5.2.
- Avoid deprecation warnings about naive datetimes when working with jupyter_client ≥ 5.0.
Add to API
DisplayPublisher.publishtwo new fully backward-compatible keyword-args:
display_datamessages spec for
publish. For a display data message,
transientcontains data that shouldn’t be persisted to files or documents. Add a
ipykernel_launchermodule which removes the current working directory from
sys.pathbefore launching the kernel. This helps to reduce the cases where the kernel won’t start because there’s a
random.py(or similar) module in the current working directory.
Add busy/idle messages on IOPub during processing of aborted requests
Add active event loop setting to GUI, which enables the correct response to IPython’s
Include IPython kernelspec in wheels to reduce reliance on “native kernel spec” in jupyter_client
OutStreamto inherit from
TextIOBaseinstead of object to improve API support and error reporting
Fix IPython kernel death messages at start, such as “Kernel Restarting…” and “Kernel appears to have died”, when parent-poller handles PID 1
- Fix bug when instantiating Comms outside of the IPython kernel (introduced in 4.5.1).
- Add missing
streamparameter to overridden
- Remove locks from iopub thread, which could cause deadlocks during debugging
- Fix regression where KeyboardInterrupt was treated as an aborted request, rather than an error
- Allow instantiating Comms outside of the IPython kernel
- Use figure.dpi instead of savefig.dpi to set DPI for inline figures
- Support ipympl matplotlib backend (requires IPython update as well to fully work)
- Various bugfixes, including fixes for output coming from threads,
input()when called with non-string prompts, which stdlib allows.
- Fix circular import of matplotlib on Python 2 caused by the inline backend changes in 4.4.0.
- Use MPLBACKEND environment variable to tell matplotlib >= 1.5 use use the inline backend by default.
This is only done if MPLBACKEND is not already set and no backend has been explicitly loaded,
matplotlib.use('Agg')will take precedence.
- Fixes for logging problems caused by 4.3, where logging could go to the terminal instead of the notebook.
--profilearguments to ipython kernel install
- Allow Comm (Widget) messages to be sent from background threads.
- Select inline matplotlib backend by default if
matplotlib.use()are not called explicitly (for matplotlib >= 1.5).
- Fix some longstanding minor deviations from the message protocol (missing status: ok in a few replies, connect_reply format).
- Remove calls to NoOpContext from IPython, deprecated in 5.0.
- Use a nonempty dummy session key for inprocess kernels to avoid security warnings.
- Fix Windows Python 3.5 incompatibility caused by faulthandler patch in 4.3
- Publish all IO in a thread, via
IOPubThread. This solves the problem of requiring
sys.stdout.flush()to be called in the notebook to produce output promptly during long-running cells.
- Remove references to outdated IPython guiref in kernel banner.
- Patch faulthandler to use
sys.__stderr__instead of forwarded
sys.stderr, which has no fileno when forwarded.
- Deprecate some vestiges of the Big Split:
ipykernel.find_connection_file()is deprecated. Use
jupyter_client.find_connection_file()instead. - Various pieces of code specific to IPython parallel are deprecated in ipykernel and moved to ipyparallel.
- Don’t show interactive debugging info when kernel crashes
- Fix handling of numerical types in json_clean
- Testing fixes for output capturing
- Fix missing
ipykernel.__version__on Python 2.
- Fix missing
target_namewhen opening comms from the frontend.