Changes in IPython kernel¶
- Fix bug when instantating Comms outside of the IPython kernel (introduced in 4.5.1).
- Add missing
streamparameter to overridden
- Remove locks from iopub thread, which could cause deadlocks during debugging
- Fix regression where KeyboardInterrupt was treated as an aborted request, rather than an error
- Allow instantating Comms outside of the IPython kernel
- Use figure.dpi instead of savefig.dpi to set DPI for inline figures
- Support ipympl matplotlib backend (requires IPython update as well to fully work)
- Various bugfixes, including fixes for output coming from threads,
input()when called with non-string prompts, which stdlib allows.
- Fix circular import of matplotlib on Python 2 caused by the inline backend changes in 4.4.0.
- Use MPLBACKEND environment variable to tell matplotlib >= 1.5 use use the inline backend by default.
This is only done if MPLBACKEND is not already set and no backend has been explicitly loaded,
matplotlib.use('Agg')will take precedence.
- Fixes for logging problems caused by 4.3, where logging could go to the terminal instead of the notebook.
--profilearguments to ipython kernel install
- Allow Comm (Widget) messages to be sent from background threads.
- Select inline matplotlib backend by default if
matplotlib.use()are not called explicitly (for matplotlib >= 1.5).
- Fix some longstanding minor deviations from the message protocol (missing status: ok in a few replies, connect_reply format).
- Remove calls to NoOpContext from IPython, deprecated in 5.0.
- Use a nonempty dummy session key for inprocess kernels to avoid security warnings.
- Fix Windows Python 3.5 incompatibility caused by faulthandler patch in 4.3
- Publish all IO in a thread, via
IOPubThread. This solves the problem of requiring
sys.stdout.flush()to be called in the notebook to produce output promptly during long-running cells.
- Remove refrences to outdated IPython guiref in kernel banner.
- Patch faulthandler to use
sys.__stderr__instead of forwarded
sys.stderr, which has no fileno when forwarded.
- Deprecate some vestiges of the Big Split:
ipykernel.find_connection_file()is deprecated. Use
jupyter_client.find_connection_file()instead. - Various pieces of code specific to IPython parallel are deprecated in ipykernel and moved to ipyparallel.
- Don’t show interactive debugging info when kernel crashes
- Fix handling of numerical types in json_clean
- Testing fixes for output capturing
- Fix missing
ipykernel.__version__on Python 2.
- Fix missing
target_namewhen opening comms from the frontend.